Logic, Epistemology, and Methodology
WHO are involved?
Guo Jiahong, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
Liu Fenrong, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Liu Xinwen, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China
Liu Yetao, Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao, China
Luo Zixin, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Ruan Ji, StFX University,Canada
Wang Tong, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Wang Yanjing, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherland
Wang Yi, Bergen University, Bergen, Norway
Zhang Jun, Beijing Institute of Technology,Beijing,
Please click here to find a photo album of the group.
Papers to translate
- 1989, Logical constants across varying type, Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 30:3, 315-342.(by Wang Yanjing and Wang Tong)
- 2002, Logical constants, the variable fortunes of an elusive notion, in W. Sieg, R. Sommer, and C. Talcott eds, Reflections on the Foundations of Mathematics, Essays in Honor of Sol Feferman, ASL Lecture Notes in Logic 15, 426-446.(by Wang Yanjing and Wang Tong)
- 2003, Is there still Logic in Bolzano's key?, in E. Morscher, ed.,
Bernard Bolzanos Leistungen in Logik, Mathematik und Physik, Bd.16, Academia
Verlag, Sankt Augustin 2003, 11-34.(by Liu Fenrong)
- 1993, Reflections on epistemic logic, Logique et Analyse, 34 (vol. 133-134), 5-14. (TARK lecture), 1993.(By Zhang Jun)
- 2006, Epistemic logic and epistemology, Philosophical Studies, 128:49-76, 2006. (by Liu Fenrong)
- 2004, What one may come to know, Analysis 64(282), 95-105. (by Zhang Jun)
- 2005, The geometry of knowledge, in J-Y Béziau, A. Costa Leite & A. Facchini, eds., Aspects of Universal Logic, Centre de Recherches Sémiologiques, Université de Neuchatel, 1-31. [With Darko Sarenac.] (by Zhang Jun)
Methodology of science
- 1982, The logical study of science, Synthese 51, 431-472.(by Liu Xinwen)
- 1984, A mathematical characterization of interpretation between theories, Studia Logica, 43:3, 295-303. [With David Pearce.](by Guo Jiahong)
- 1996, Inference, methodology and semantics, in Honour of Vladimir Smirnov, Kluwer
Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 63-82.(by Guo Jiahong)
Foundations of time and space
- 1984, Tense logic and time, Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 25:1,1-16.(by Ruan Ji)
- 1995, Temporal logic( File 1, File 2, File 3, File 4), in D. Gabbay, C. Hoggar and J. Robinson, eds., Handbook of Logic in Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming, Volume 4, Oxford University Press, 241-350.(by Ruan Ji)
- 2003, A modal walk through space, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logic, 12:3/4, 319-363. [With Marco Aiello.](by Wang Yi)
- 2007, Modal logics of space, in M. Aiello et al., eds., Handbook of Spatial Logics, Springer, Dordrecht, 217-298, [with Guram Bezhanishvili].(by Wang Yi)
Philosophy of logic
- 1996, Complexity of contents versus complexity of wrappings, in M.
Marx, M. Masuch and L. Pólos, eds., Arrow Logic and Multimodal Logic, Studies in Logic, Language Information, CSLI Publications, Stanford (and Cambridge UP), 203-219.(by Luo Zixin)
- 1999, Wider still and wider: resetting the bounds of logic, in A. Varzi, ed., The European Review of Philosophy, CSLI Publications, Stanford, 21-44.(by Luo Zixin)
- 2007, Logic in philosophy, in D. Jacquette, ed., Handbook of the Philosophy of
Logic, Elsevier, Amsterdam.(by Liu Yetao)
Important practical points
- The book will be published at the Science Press in Beijing in 2010. Please send me your Chinese translation by the 1st of June.
- van Benthem is happy to explain any questions you may have when translating those works, please feel free to email him. But do remember to accumulate questions first.
- Please send your comments or suggestions to fenrong_at_tsinghua.edu.cn.
Links to the relevant books
- Johan van Benthem. The Logic of Time, Reidel, Dordrecht, (Synthese Library, vol. 156), Revised and expanded edition published with Kluwer, 1983.
- Marco Aiello, Ian Pratt-Hartmann, and Johan van Benthem, eds., Handbook of Spatial Logics, Kluwer-Springer, Dordrecht. 2007.
Back to the MainPage.
Last updated: 4 Feb 2010