Logic, Epistemology, and Methodology
WHO are involved?
Please click here to find a photo album of the group.
- Guo Jiahong, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
- Liu Fenrong, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Liu Xinwen, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China
- Liu Yetao, Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao, China
- Luo Zixin, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
- Ruan Ji, StFX University,Canada
- Wang Tong, ILLC, University of Amsterdam, The Netherland
- Wang Yanjing, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherland
- Wang Yi, Bergen University, Bergen, Norway
- Yu Junhua, City University of New York, USA.
- Zhang Jun, Beijing Institute of Technology,Beijing,
Papers to translate
- 1989, Logical constants across varying type, Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 30:3, 315-342.(by Wang Yanjing and Wang Tong, checked by Zhang Jun)
- 2002, Logical constants, the variable fortunes of an elusive notion, in W. Sieg, R. Sommer, and C. Talcott eds, Reflections on the Foundations of Mathematics, Essays in Honor of Sol Feferman, ASL Lecture Notes in Logic 15, 426-446.(by Wang Yanjing and Wang Tong, checked by Zhang Jun)
- 2003, Is there still Logic in Bolzano's key?, in E. Morscher, ed.,
Bernard Bolzanos Leistungen in Logik, Mathematik und Physik, Bd.16, Academia
Verlag, Sankt Augustin 2003, 11-34.(by Liu Fenrong and Ju Junhua, checked by Liu Yetao)
- 1993, Reflections on epistemic logic, Logique et Analyse, 34 (vol. 133-134), 5-14. (TARK lecture), 1993.(By Zhang Jun, checked by Wang Yanjing)
- 2006, Epistemic logic and epistemology, Philosophical Studies, 128:49-76, 2006. (by Liu Fenrong)
- 2004, What one may come to know, Analysis 64(282), 95-105. (by Zhang Jun, checked by Wang Yanjing)
- 2005, The geometry of knowledge, in J-Y Béziau, A. Costa Leite & A. Facchini, eds., Aspects of Universal Logic, Centre de Recherches Sémiologiques, Université de Neuchatel, 1-31. [With Darko Sarenac.] (by Zhang Jun, checked by Wang Yanjing)
Methodology of science
- 1982, The logical study of science, Synthese 51, 431-472.(by Liu Xinwen, checked by Wang Yi)
- 1984, A mathematical characterization of interpretation between theories, Studia Logica, 43:3, 295-303. [With David Pearce.](by Guo Jiahong, checked by Ruan Ji)
- 1996, Inference, methodology and semantics, in Honour of Vladimir Smirnov, Kluwer
Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 63-82.(by Guo Jiahong, checked by Ruan Ji)
- 2009, The logic of empirical theories revisited, to appear in Studia Logica. [With Sonja Smets](by Liu Fenrong and Ju Junhua, checked by Liu Yetao)
Foundations of time and space
- 1984, Tense logic and time, Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 25:1,1-16.(by Ruan Ji, checked by Guo Jiahong)
- 1995, Temporal logic( File 1, File 2, File 3, File 4), in D. Gabbay, C. Hoggar and J. Robinson, eds., Handbook of Logic in Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming, Volume 4, Oxford University Press, 241-350.(by Ruan Ji, checked by Guo Jiahong)
- 2003, A modal walk through space, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logic, 12:3/4, 319-363. [With Marco Aiello.](by Wang Yi, checked by Liu Xinwen)
- 2007, Modal logics of space, in M. Aiello et al., eds., Handbook of Spatial Logics, Springer, Dordrecht, 217-298, [with Guram Bezhanishvili].(by Wang Yi, checked by Liu Xinwen)
Philosophy of logic
- 1996, Complexity of contents versus complexity of wrappings, in M.
Marx, M. Masuch and L. Pólos, eds., Arrow Logic and Multimodal Logic, Studies in Logic, Language Information, CSLI Publications, Stanford (and Cambridge UP), 203-219.(by Luo Zixin, checked by Liu Fenrong)
- 1999, Wider still and wider: resetting the bounds of logic, in A. Varzi, ed., The European Review of Philosophy, CSLI Publications, Stanford, 21-44.(by Luo Zixin, checked by Liu Fenrong)
- 2007, Logic in philosophy, in D. Jacquette, ed., Handbook of the Philosophy of
Logic, Elsevier, Amsterdam.(by Liu Yetao, checked by Liu Fenrong)
Important practical points
- The book will be published at the Science Press in Beijing in 2010. Please send me your Chinese translation by the 1st of June.
- van Benthem is happy to explain any questions you may have when translating those works, please feel free to email him. But do remember to accumulate questions first.
- Please send your comments or suggestions to fenrong_at_tsinghua.edu.cn.
Links to the relevant books
- Johan van Benthem. The Logic of Time, Reidel, Dordrecht, (Synthese Library, vol. 156), Revised and expanded edition published with Kluwer, 1983.
- Marco Aiello, Ian Pratt-Hartmann, and Johan van Benthem, eds., Handbook of Spatial Logics, Kluwer-Springer, Dordrecht. 2007.
Back to the MainPage.
Last updated: 8 Sep 2010